Question: Injuries can happen at all hours of the day. How do I know the appropriate number to call?
- In any emergency situation, it is also best to call 911 or go directly to the emergency room.
- If the injury does not require immediate medical attention, parents may call St. Elizabeth Sports Medicine at (859) 301-5600 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Michael J. Miller. Most appointments will be scheduled within 24 hours.
- St. Elizabeth Healthcare offers Injury Clinics. Dates and times vary throughout the year. Click here to learn more.
Question: If the injury happens after business hours, how can I find out how to manage it until my scheduled appointment?
- Parents or coaches should contact their school’s Athletic Trainer to find how best to manage the injury until the scheduled appointment.
- St. Elizabeth Physical Therapy offers simple tips of what you should and should not do at home if your child has sustained an injury. To read about these tips, please click here.
Question: How do I prevent my child from getting a concussion?
- In order to prevent a concussion, make sure your child wears proper equipment for the sport that he or she is playing and make sure the equipment fits properly. Practice proper technique for the given sport.
Question: What do I do if I suspect that my child may have a concussion?
- It is important for parents to be educated on the signs and symptoms of concussions. To review these, please click here.
- St. Elizabeth Healthcare offers ImPACTTM testing. This computerized test can help to measure the cognitive/mental changes that occur when an athlete suffers from a concussion. To learn more about ImPACTTM testing, please click here.