AwardsAlways Out in Front with the Best Care
With six major facilities and more than 7,300 employees, including associates from St. Elizabeth Physicians, St. Elizabeth Healthcare is not only the largest healthcare provider in Northern Kentucky, but also continually recognized as one of the nation’s best. Time and again, our organization has been lauded for exceptional care by an array of respected sources. These awards and accolades only help to show that St. Elizabeth Healthcare and our community really are better together
Mayo Clinic Care Network
In November, 2012, St. Elizabeth Heathcare became the first healthcare system in Kentucky, Ohio or Indiana to have been selected as a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network. Click here
for more information about the Mayo Clinic Care Network.
National Research Corporation
In December 2015, St. Elizabeth Healthcare was recognized by the National Research Corporation as, "The most preferred for all health needs for Northern Kentucky Residents."
2015-16 U.S. News & World Report High Performing Hospitals for the following conditions and procedures:
- Hip Replacement
- Knee Replacement
- Heart Bypass Surgery
- Heart Failure
- US News & World Report - Best Hospitals for Common Care 2015 - For the first time, US News & World Report has released Best Hospitals for Common Care as an extension of the U.S. News Best Hospitals rankings. The project evaluates how well hospitals perform on 5 common procedures and conditions (CABG, THR, TKR, COPD & HF). Hospitals are rated as high performing, average or below average relative to other rated hospitals in treating patients 65 and older.. Data is from CMS Medpar database, Hospital Compare and the AHA Annual Survey. Data date ranges are variable by indicator and include data from 2010 – 2014. Edgewood is ranked as a high performing hospital in 4 of 5 common care areas. Only 10% of hospitals in each condition or procedure were ranked as high performing.
- US News and World Report 2015 “Best Hospital” Rankings - U.S News ranks the top hospitals in 16 different specialties. For 12 of the 16 specialties, an extensive analysis combines measures of performance in three primary dimensions of healthcare: structure, process and outcomes. Other specialties are ranked by physician reputation only. For 2015 US News and World Report Best Hospital Rankings, St. Elizabeth Edgewood will be rank as a high performing hospital in 4 specialties (Diabetes & Endocrinology, Pulmonology, and Geriatrics). Regional Rankings include: #2 in KY for the second year and #5 in the Cincinnati Region.
Leap Frog - St. Elizabeth Earns “A” Grade in Patient Safety
Florence, Ft. Thomas and Edgewood will receive “A” scores for hospital safety. Ft. Thomas and Edgewood have received the highest to date numeric scores.
Improvements in Core Measures and Patient Safety Indicators contributed to the enhanced scores. Florence had a slight decrease in numeric scores. Hospital Acquired Infection scores contributed to the decline in score.
For the 2015 Fall Leapfrog Hospital Safety Score, all hospitals are given a numeric score in the range of -5 to +4. This score is then translated into an alpha score of A, B, C, D or F. All St. Elizabeth facilities are now partially participating in the 2015 Leapfrog Survey
- 3 Data sources are used:
1. Leapfrog survey
3. AHA 2010 hospital survey
- All measures are divided into 2 domains (each domain weighted 50% of score):
1. Process (50%)
2. Outcome (50%)
- Leapfrog Sections that we are not participating in:
1. Managing Serious Errors
2. Smooth Patient Scheduling
The Joint Commission, Top Performer:
St. Elizabeth Ft. Thomas, Florence, Edgewood and Grant have been recognized as a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures™ by The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of healthcare organizations in America. The hospitals were recognized for attaining and sustaining excellence in accountability measure performance for certain conditions, including heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgery, children’s asthma, stroke and venous thromboembolism, as well as inpatient psychiatric services.
St. Elizabeth Edgewood, Covington, Ft. Thomas and Florence have all earned the Gold Seal of Approval™ for stroke care and Primary Stroke Center Recertification by The Joint Commission.
The Joint Commission's Primary Stroke Center certification is based on the recommendations for primary stroke centers published by the Brain Attack Coalition and the American Stroke Association's statements/guidelines for stroke care. St. Elizabeth has demonstrated that its stroke care programs follow national standards and guidelines that can significantly improve outcomes for stroke patients.
Magnet® - 2006, 2010, 2015
St. Elizabeth Healthcare Edgewood, Grant and Covington have been designated Magnet® status
by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
for the third time
. In 2006, St. Elizabeth became the first hospital in the Greater Cincinnati region to attain the coveted status as a Magnet-recognized organization, healthcare’s gold standard for nursing excellence.
This third designation recognizes a continuum of excellence in nursing services and overall patient care, and St. Elizabeth is once again the first in the Greater Cincinnati region to achieve this status three consecutive times.
St. Elizabeth Ft. Thomas
Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Diabetic Emergencies for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2016)
St. Elizabeth Florence
Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack for 12 Years in a Row (2005-2016)
Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure in 2016
St. Elizabeth Edgewood
Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Bypass Surgery in 2016
Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack in 2016
Five-Star Recipient for Back Surgery in 2016
Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for 14 Years in a Row (2003-2016)
Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure in 2016
Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Diabetic Emergencies in 2016
Honored with the 2016 Women’s Choice Award as an:
- America’s Best Hospitals for Patient Safety – 2nd consecutive year
- America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics – 4th consecutive year
- America’s Best Hospitals for Heart Care – 3rd consecutive year
- America’s Best Hospitals for Orthopedics – 2nd consecutive year
- America’s Best Hospitals for Cancer Care – 3rd consecutive year
- America’s Best Breast Centers– 2nd consecutive year
- America’s Best Stroke Centers – 2nd consecutive year
Kentucky Hospital Association 2015 Quality Award Critical Access Hospital Category – St. Elizabeth Grant County was awarded Kentucky Hospital Association's (KHA) Quality Award at the KHA Annual Convention in Lexington on May 8th, 2015. The award is offered to promote organizational focus and commitment to achieving optimal outcomes. All hospitals in Kentucky are eligible for the award. St. Elizabeth Grant was recognized in the Critical Access Hospital category, for leadership and innovation in patient care quality, safety and commitment. In the award application, the St. Elizabeth Quality Program and Performance Improvement Plan were highlighted, as well as the organization’s leadership role in carrying out the Strategic Plan and our Mission, Vision and Values. As an example of a clinical process improvement and patient care initiative, the organization’s Fall Program was the point of focus. Prior to 2012, the inpatient fall rate for Grant County MMU ranged between 2-3.3 per 1000 patient days. Given the low census at times, it only takes one fall to make that score skyrocket. Through implementing initiatives for fall prevention, such as thorough assessments, hourly rounds, the use of bed alarms, the fall rate has decreased to zero in the second quarter of 2012 and maintained that rate through 2013, 2014 and to date.
Service Line Awards
Awards & Recognitions
- HIMSS Stage 7 Award - Health Information and Management Systems Society, '15
- The St. Elizabeth Breast Centers are accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC).
- The Cancer Program is proud to be accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (CoC), highest attainable “Golden Award” 2013-2016 at both the Edgewood and Ft. Thomas facilities.
- UNICEF - Certified Baby Friendly Hospital (The Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) was launched by WHO and UNICEF in 1991, following the Innocenti Declaration of 1990. The initiative is a global effort to implement practices that protect, promote and support breastfeeding.)
- Outstanding Achievement Award (St. Elizabeth Edgewood) - Commission on Cancer, '13
- 3-Star Rated by the Society for Thoracic Surgeons (STS) - '08, '09, '10, '11, '14
- Wound Care Centers of Distinction (St. Elizabeth Covington, St. Elizabeth Ft. Thomas) - Healogics, Inc., '13